village de faucon

7 km from Vaison la Romaine, 5,5 km from Mollans sur Ouvèze, 8 km from Mirabel aux Baronnies

GPS: 44° 15′ 37″ N 5° 08′ 50″ E
Altitude: 370 m
Population: 428

Located at the northernmost edge of the Vaucluse and facing Mont Ventoux, the hilltop village of Faucon offers superb views across the surrounding countryside. Traces of settlements dating back to the Neolithic era and the Bronze Age have been discovered in the area, alongside ancient Roman engraved steles. In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the village was a fief belonging to the Counts of Toulouse, and became part of the Papal States in 1274. Ruins are still scattered throughout Faucon, and the village retains the feel of a medieval stronghold.

vue panoramique de faucon

What to see and visit: the Sainte-Colombe chapel (1902); the medieval arch; the remains of the feudal castle and its fortifications; the churches; fossils (ammonites).
Recommended activities: pétanque competitions, walking, botanical trail.